Patchwork for beginners. How to learn technology in 2 hours?
If you have colorful shreds of fabric lying around - do not throw them away! The pieces can be used to create new interesting things, such as bright furniture upholstery, in the patchwork technique for beginners.
Types of products
Patchwork technique is most often used for sewing interesting furniture upholstery. Depending on the color scheme, the work can be implemented in a different design: bright colors are perfect for a nursery, muted cold shades are better placed in the bedroom, and juicy green and yellow colors will look great in the kitchen.
In addition, in the patchwork style you get wonderful rugs, blankets, bed linen and kitchen towels. Depending on your idea, you can use fabrics of different shades of one scale, and you can give free rein to fantasy and combine pieces of different patterns and colors.
For beginning masters, there are many interesting ideas, the embodiment of which will train and prepare for more difficult master classes.For example, beginners are advised to pay attention to tacks, curtains and wall organizers in the patchwork technique.
Preparation for work
The main question for beginners to work in this technique - what tools are needed? Since patchwork is the same as sewing, only from patches, you will need threads of different colors, needles that you can work with and a sewing machine. You can do without it, but then the workflow will take a little longer.
If you liked patchwork, pay attention to the kinusayg technique - an interesting way to patchwork without the use of threads and needles.
Stock up on specialized patchwork patterns. They are regular geometric shape, hearts, flowers, polyhedra and semicircles. Plastic templates can be bought at a needlework store, or you can draw them yourself and cut them out of cardboard.
Pay attention that your homemade pattern should consist of two contours: the first - the inner one - outlines the shape of your shred, the outer edge defines the seam allowances. Tip for beginners: create a stencil in the form of a frame with an empty center - so it will be easy for you to outline as internal,and the outer edge of the flap.
Beginners can be attracted by such kind of crafts as a crazy patchwork. There are no special rules in this technique: take patches, ribbons and laces of different colors, textures, sizes and start sewing them together in a chaotic manner. To do this, you do not need templates and sewing machine.
The result will be an interesting matter that can be used as a material for other types of needlework or as artistically decorated curtains, bedspreads.
Most often, silk, flax, drape, and cotton fabric are used to create items in patchwork style of needlewomen. But bright synthetic paintings will also look good in a common rag mosaic.
To facilitate the work, use the advice of professionals before choosing a fabric:
- flax is easy to cut, so it is used when creating products from small pieces of intricate shapes;
- cotton fabric will be a good basis for a blanket, napkins, pillowcases and towels;
- from the drape it is advised to sew rugs, bedspreads and rugs;
- Silk is the hardest to work with, so beginning masters do not always manage to cope with it. Silk panels and patchwork clothes look best.
Before work, be sure to wash fabrics and iron them - it is harder to work with dirty crumpled material than with prepared ones.
Before you start, decide on the plot of the future product - choose the schemes on the Internet or invent them yourself. Prepare pieces of fabric that match your composition in color and size. Prefer pieces of one type of fabric.
Draw a pattern with a simple pencil, soap or piece of chalk - gel pens may not be washed off. In addition, they push on the fabric groove, from which no longer get rid of.
Always place your patterns in the direction of the share thread of the fabric - then the shreds will not warp in the sewing process.
If you do not have universal patterns, first create a pattern of parts, then outline it with an external contour - with seam allowances.
Master class: tailoring pillowcases
In fact, work in the style of patchwork is very easy to do in just 2 hours, even for beginners. To see this, try sewing a colorful pillow case for a children's square pillow.
You will need 8 different types of matter, combined with each other by texture and pattern.
In the master class are approximate measurements of the product - they can be changed depending on what size pillowcase you need.
- From each fabric cut 1 strip measuring 6.5 × 55 centimeters. Spread them on your own long sides to each other.
- Sew strips between each other with a simple machine stitch. Each time should remain allowances of approximately 6 millimeters. If you do not have a special patchwork patch foot, adjust the standard foot for ease of operation.
- All the resulting seams need to be ironed so that the allowances look in one direction.
- Now sew the first and the last strips between each other so that a “sleeve” is formed.
- Cut along the sleeve strips perpendicular to the seams, and cut. You should have 8 looped bands.
- Now start to unpick stripes, each time retreating to 1 square so that you get 8 ribbons with a different sequence of colors. Lay them out to form the desired pattern.
- Take a picture of the resulting pattern, so as not to forget it. Now take all the odd bands - 1, 3, 5, 7 - and iron as follows: the first seam is to the left, the second is to the right, and so on.
- With even stripes, do the opposite: the first seam is to the right, the second is to the left, and so on.
- Put all the strips in place. Fasten them together and sew on a typewriter with a simple line. You performed the two previous actions so that the strips lay ideally exactly to each other: you can check this by seeing between them the same “lock” from the seams as in the image.
- After sewing, turn the pillowcase upside down and iron the seams again. You should get a similar pattern of seams.
- Cut 2 rectangles with sides of 42x30 centimeters. Wrap one edge of each rectangle 2 times for 1 centimeter and iron.
- Attach the rectangles to each other as shown in the photo so that they form a square with a side of 42 centimeters. Pin up the front side of the pillowcase with the front side facing each other.
- Sew a square around the perimeter with a simple line, backing down 1 centimeter. Cut the corners of the pillowcase and stitch the edges with a zigzag stitch.
- Remove the finished product and put it on the pillow.
You can get acquainted with this method of sewing pillowcases in detail by looking at the following video tutorial for beginners.
It is better to additionally decorate the finished patchwork with embroidery with satin stitch, cross-stitch or ribbons.