Mole in the house! How to get rid of the pest?
All sorts of different insects and strive to occupy our home. Often we are plagued by the mole, which spoils the food supplies and eats clothes, furniture and carpets. On the most effective ways to combat pest - modern means and popular methods, as well as preventive measures - read in this article.
The reasons for the appearance of moths in the house
A moth may appear even at the most careful hostess - the insect is not important cleanliness of the home. For life, it requires only the presence of food.
Mostly food moth gets into our homes with purchases - very often loose products are contaminated. They may have been leak-packed, stored in a warehouse or store in violation of technology.
A clothes (woolen) mole could get into your house with another purchase of carpet, fur or woolen clothes, furniture with natural upholstery (especially already in use).
Sometimes an insect enters the house from its neighbors through the ventilation ducts, rarely, but it can fly in through an open door or window on the first floor.And a mole can “come” to you on the fur of a pet (usually long-haired).
How to get rid of food moths
In fact, the varieties of this volatile pest abound. But we are only interested in two kinds and we will start with the kitchen dweller - moth grain or food.
Those who do not know will be informed that the danger is not so much the butterflies, as their caterpillars and eggs. Why? For one simple reason: it is the caterpillars that devour our products and things, and they appear from eggs laid by butterflies.
Out of the food cabinet, did the mole flutter merrily? So it's time to do an audit of food supplies. Obviously, voracious caterpillars eat something from your products.
Even in order to save the family budget, do not regret what is badly damaged, but throw it away immediately. Otherwise, getting rid of the insect will be problematic.
Products that the mole has just begun to eat, zealous hosts are advised to carefully sort out, flour, sift, dry in a microwave or oven at a low temperature - from 60 to 70 degrees 15-20 minutes.
Moth larvae die from cold, so you can hold the rescued supplies in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
But in general, the best thing is if you are overwhelmed by disgust and not an attack of greed, and without regret you will send a package to the bin, even slightly struck by moths. So it will be more reliable, because there are dead larvae, their feces and husks. Ugh, what an abomination ...
Cabinets, from where you intend to forever expel the uninvited guest, have a thorough wash.
Use a soap solution, in good faith wiping all the shelves and corners. Then you need to wash everything with clean water, fluff the crevices with vinegar and leave the doors of the cabinets open for ventilation.
So that the mole does not penetrate into your house through the vent hole, you can stick a fine mesh on the grill (even pantyhose or stockings will do).
Since the mole often gets into our house with purchased bulk products, we proceed in this way: we open the packages, check the quality, pour them into containers - glass, it can be tin or plastic. Cap of container should close tightly.
We store products in a dry place, at least once a month we check if there is a pest.
Cabinets and mezzanines, where stocks are stored, wipe with soap and soda solution.
It is possible to prepare such mixtures for wiping: 25 g of lavender or geranium essential oil per 1 l of water, juice of 1 lemon per liter of water.
Moths really do not like the fresh air, so the kitchen should be aired regularly, and to arrange a draft for greater effect.
We take as assistants houseplants. For example, if you start a geranium in the kitchen, its smell will scare away the mole.
The insect does not like the smell of printing ink. Therefore, it is possible to cover the shelves of grocery cabinets with fresh newspapers.
What else to scare away the mole? Put tobacco on shelves with products, dried peels of oranges, lemon, dry lavender.
In a container with cereals, it is not bad to put garlic cloves, one can use cloves (spices) one at a time.
How to get rid of a wool (clothes) moth
The wool moth is surprisingly voracious. She is ready to eat, besides wool, also fur, velvet, book covers, gnaw through even synthetics and plastic bags.
If a mole started up, then, besides the flying moths, surely your cabinets were occupied by the larvae and eggs of the pest. Therefore, to get rid of this scourge, it is necessary to destroy all - both adult insects and their offspring.
The plan of "military" action is:
- we take out all the clothes from the closets, review them to find the hidden mole, shake out things;
- garments damaged by a pest are best disposed of, but if you are going to recover them, you will have to treat them with dichlorvos-based;
- we also treat the corners of the furniture, the woven and fur surfaces, the wardrobes inside (we have previously vacuumed all the cracks) with an anti-mole preparation;
- after careful treatment of the room, after 2-3 hours we carry out a general cleaning in it;
- Only clean clothes are returned to the closet, as the moth loves polluted places, actively nibbling them. Wash clothes, some dry clean;
- put pure wool and fur products in plastic bags; it is better to pack fur coats in special covers made of thick paper, impregnated with anti-molytic agent;
- the moth does not like sunshine - you can hang your things in the sun, let them warm up properly, and then do not forget to thoroughly clean the seams, pockets, and folds of clothing with a brush.
In winter, you can keep things in the cold for the purpose of prevention. And to get rid of the pest, there is such a way - freezing. We put small items of clothing in a plastic bag, release the excess air and tie more tightly.
Keep clothes a couple of days in the fridge freezer. Then thaw at room temperature. Both eggs and insect larvae die from such exposure.
Butterflies do not tolerate the smell of strawberry soap, citrus peels, coleus, geranium, and fragrant tobacco, they also do not like the scent of wormwood, by the way, like other household pests - fleas.
We put on the shelves of the cabinet a piece of soap, leaves of plants, you can put something of these funds directly into the pockets of clothes that we will keep packed until next season.
Essential oils of fir and lavender are very good to prevent the appearance of moths. These tools are natural, therefore harmless to humans. It is enough to saturate cotton pads with oil and place them in a wardrobe. It is also good to use the essential oils of eucalyptus and cloves.
What ready-made tools will help get rid of moths
Anti-molar drugs are divided into repellents, which scare away the mole, preventing it from starting in your home, and insecticides that kill the mole at different stages of its development.
Choose the appropriate option:
- insecticidal aerosols are a radical remedy.Really get rid of the moth in one day, carefully treating the apartment with such a drug (sprays are effective in the fight against cockroaches). But when using it, you need to wear protective equipment so as not to breathe toxic fumes;
- fumigators are long-lasting “weapons” that also contain insecticidal agents. Preparations from different manufacturers help to destroy the mole in different periods - from 2-3 days to two weeks;
- insecticide free moth sections. Available on the basis of essential oils and have a deterrent effect. But the moths are not to their liking, but it will not be possible to get rid of the larvae and eggs. The sections are in the form of plates that are suspended between the clothes and blocks - they are attached to the wall;
- traps and sticky tapes are used to catch moth butterflies, and to catch the larvae in this way will not work. These things, rather, an auxiliary tool that helps get rid of insects. For a man, safe;
- There are also traditional naphthalene-based tablets that are not expensive at all. But this tool has long been outdated, its toxic effect on our health has been proven.
Does your home moth not live? Wonderful! But no one is immune from her arrogant invasion. That is why prevention does not hurt at all.Regularly look through your belongings, take them out periodically to the sun or to frost, to air the apartment.
Not superfluous will be the placement of sections from moths, traps and adhesive tapes, traditional means of prevention, cultivation of useful indoor plants. And do not forget to conduct a mandatory audit of purchased cereals, flour, dried fruit. And then no mole will cause you any extra problems.