How to treat sore throat in children?
High body temperature and sore throat are the first symptoms of angina in children. As soon as they appear, measures need to be taken urgently. What - we will tell in our article.
Causes of disease
The word "angina" came to us from the Latin language and means "squeezing", reflecting the essence of the disease, during which there is an increase in the tonsils of the sky. Angina, called in medicine acute tonsillitis, refers to infectious diseases and is manifested, in addition to swelling of the tonsils, intoxication, fever, pain in the throat and lymph nodes.
In 8 cases out of 10, streptococcus becomes the causative agent of tonsillitis, in the remaining cases staphylococcus becomes the cause of inflammation.
The source of infection most often becomes a person suffering from a sore throat, as well as being at the stage of recovery. Most often, the disease is transmitted by airborne droplets, but it can also be provoked by contaminated food. An intense attack of pathogenic bacteria on the body leads to the onset of the disease.
Sometimes a sore throat can get sick without contacting with the carrier of the disease, but, say, wetting your feet or being overcooling. Why it happens? The fact is that streptococci and staphylococci are in our organism in a small amount all the time, but when the immunity is weakened they begin to multiply rapidly and become more active. Therefore, any hypothermia - from wet feet to drunk water from the refrigerator - leads to angina.
Types and symptoms of angina
Symptoms of tonsillitis in a childLike the symptoms of angina in an adult, it is very similar. Doctors distinguish several types of angina, each of which is characterized by:
- swelling of the tonsils and lymph nodes;
- increase in body temperature to 38-40 ° C, chills, aches in the joints;
- intoxication of varying degrees;
- sore throat (constant / when swallowing);
- weakness and poor appetite.
Distinctive features of various types of angina:
- catarrhal sore throat: symptomssimilar to normal SARS, tonsils are red, and the temperature is kept between 37.5-38 ° C;
- lacunar tonsillitis: the child has a high temperature (up to 40 ° C), and a yellow-white bloom forms on the tonsils, covering them completely or in small islets.It is easily removed with a spoon or spatula and quickly restored to its original location;
- follicular sore throat, better known aspurulent tonsillitis: symptomsthis type of disease is similar to lacunar tonsillitis, only instead of plaque on the tonsils, small follicles are seen - ulcers, which are subsequently opened, and their contents flow down the throat;
- necrotic-ulcerative tonsillitis: dead skin patches of grayish color are visually seen on the tonsils. When they exfoliate, deep lumpy traces remain on the mucous membrane.
Catarrhal angina is the least dangerous, but necrotic-ulcerative should be taken very seriously, as it can affect the palate and gums and cause bleeding.
Treatment of angina
Acute tonsillitis does not pass by itself and is not cured by folk remedies. The causative agents of the disease are bacteria, and only antibiotics can cope with them. Therefore, seeing the symptoms of sore throat in a child, immediately consult a doctor. He will prescribe a comprehensive treatment consisting of:
- a course of antibiotics;
- antipyretic drugs, used only when the body temperature exceeds 38 ° C;
- probiotics to restore intestinal microflora;
- antihistamine drugs that prevent the occurrence of allergic reactions.
In case of sore throat, the child is recommended to drink plenty of fluids (1.5 liters per day) and bed rest. After 5-7 days, the disease will decline, the need to stay in bed is no longer necessary, but physical exertion is temporarily limited.
Treatment of angina in children up to the year is somewhat different. The doctor prescribes them a different dosage of antibiotic, does not prescribe antihistamine medicines, and replaces gargling with drinking decoctions of lime and chamomile.
Treatment of angina folk remedies
Trying to cure a sore throat with folk remedies, you risk a lot. “Grandmothers” recipes are aimed solely at enhancing immunity and are not always effective, because it is very difficult to spur a weakened body and force it to cope with the bacteria by itself. Folk remedies can be considered in the case of angina only as ancillary for the main treatment prescribed by the doctor.
Watchingsymptoms of purulent tonsillitisYou can fight it using the healing properties of honey.Mixing 15 g of honey and butter and throwing a pinch of soda, heat them up to the formation of foam. Then cool the mixture and let the child drink. Repeat the procedure twice a day.
Well help in the treatment of sore throats. Moisten gauze folded in several layers in vodka and put on your neck, covered with a fluffy shawl or a layer of cotton wool and a towel on top. Hold for an hour before bedtime, repeating daily, until the pain in the throat stops.
Effectively rinsing the mouth and throat. Dissolve 15 ml of calendula tincture in 100 ml of warm water. The first two days with this mixture, gargle the child's throat every hour, and then reduce the frequency of the procedure to 3-4 times a day.
Prevention of angina
The best prevention of angina is to strengthen the immunity of the child. Hardening, healthy eating, adherence to the day regimen and an active lifestyle will do more for the baby than all the medicines taken together.
Some parents believe: you can prevent a sore throat by removing the tonsils. Doctors advise not to hurry with the adoption of such drastic measures. There are 3 reasons for the removal of glands:
- inflammation extends beyond the tonsils and threatens to spread to the heart and lungs;
- regular treatment and attempts to strengthen the immune system do not lead to a decrease in the incidence of angina;
- suspicion of malignant tumors in tonsils.
In all other cases, it is better to leave the tonsils in place, because they perform a protective function in the body, producing lymphocytes and preventing the germs from getting into the body.
The well-known children's doctor Komarovsky will simply and clearly tell about the symptoms of angina in the video: