How to make blanks for the winter do it yourself
Many fruits and vegetables can delight us only in summer, especially for heat-loving crops that ripen only at this time. To pamper yourself and your loved ones in the cold season with something tasty, you do not need to go to hot countries, for this people have long ago come up with the idea of making blanks for the winter. Savvy housewives came up with the technology of preservation of products, that the taste is preserved exactly the same as that of the fresh product. Surprisingly, but now preserve freshness can not only familiar to us products - cucumbers, tomatoes, berries and greens. It should be noted that preparations for the winter save the family budget, you will be confident in the quality of products.
What are the blanks
1. Canning. This is the most popular method of preparation, is famous not only for its ability to preserve the taste properties of the product, but also to keep it for a long time. This usually requires salt, sugar, vinegar, and a minimum set of kitchen utensils and products is required.
2. Salting.The name speaks for itself, the main ingredient is table salt, which kills bacteria that could cause damage to fruits and vegetables. Salting can be not only vegetables, but meat and fish.
3. Pouring. This is a longer method of preservation, the fermentation process takes two to three weeks. Mostly vegetables are immersed in a solution, left in a dark place, during which time a complex chemical reaction occurs, during which lactic acid is formed, which then kills microorganisms.
4. Marinating. The method is most often used for the preservation of mushrooms; it is in this medium that they will remain crispy, vegetables and meat are pickled in pickling less often. The main ingredients are acid, vegetable oil and various spices, this mixture does not allow the products to deteriorate.
5. Freezing. The easiest way to keep food without any extra ingredients. When fruits and vegetables are frozen, all useful properties are preserved, since they are not subjected to heat treatment. All you need is a refrigerator and storage tanks.
For the need to do the workpiece?
Someone will say: "Why bother, because everything can be bought in the store." But sometimes you want something of your own.At home, you can adjust the taste as you want, not as done in the store. Canned fruits and vegetables will help to diversify the table in the winter, when there is no such diversity. Do not forget that canned foods contain some vitamins, and they are also necessary for a person in the cold season.
In summer and autumn, seasonal fruits and vegetables are cheap - it will be extremely profitable to buy and preserve them, this will save the family budget greatly, and if you have a garden you will definitely stay in the black.
How to sterilize jars?
Sterilization - heat treatment exposure. Even 30 years ago, banks were processed over the steam, now there is a huge variety of methods that have become more practical and convenient. Before processing cans, you should check them for defects, cracks, chips. Covers should not be rusty or curved.
1. Par. This is a classic way, and most importantly the most affordable, every house has a deep pot and water.
To sterilize banks over the steam will need:
- Wide dishes
- Metal grill, can be taken from the oven
- Clean rag
It is necessary to pour half the water into a bowl or pan, boil it, put a grate, cans upside down on it, as well as lids. It is important that the glass is whole, without chipping, otherwise it may burst. When the water starts to condense inside the jar, they can be removed. Be careful, they are very hot! Banks should be put neck down on a clean cloth and let them dry completely. Sterilized, they will remain for two days.
2. Oven. This method of sterilization is convenient because you can put a lot of cans in the oven at once, and you don’t need to follow them. If you have an oven of the old model, it distributes heat unevenly - the glass may crack.
First, you need to rinse the jars under ice water, put them on a baking tray in a cold oven and turn it on at 130 degrees for half an hour, depending on the capacity of the oven. Cooled banks are fully prepared for spin.
3. Potassium permanganate. There is no possibility to use any kitchen utensils - you can simply wash the jars in a solution of potassium permanganate. To do this, dilute 30 grams of potassium permanganate in one liter of water, dry the washed vessels. This method is also relevant for those who have small children who can break glass jars.
4. Microwave.It does not need a lot of accessories, only the microwave jars and water, this is a simple but long method of sterilization, since only one jar can get into the microwave oven. If you are interested in this option, pour 50-70 ml of water into each jar to close the bottom, and then place in the microwave oven for 4 minutes at a power of 800 watts. Three-liter cans hardly fit, but they can be put sideways and pour a little liquid.
5. Boiling water. If you need only a few cans - you can boil them. You need to take a large saucepan, pour ice water into it, put the jars so that they are completely in the liquid, cover the saucepan and put it on the gas stove, after boiling simmer the jars for 10 minutes. Then they should be pulled out and dried.
Cucumber Pickle Recipe
- Leaves of currant, horseradish, cherry, dill
- Garlic - 100 gr
- Ground black pepper, cloves, bay leaf fresh / dried
- Cooking salt - 25 gr
- Sugar - 30 gr
- Citric acid - 10 gr
- Water - 2 l
- Cucumbers - 3 kg
1. Cucumbers should be soaked in cool water with ice for a few hours beforehand, and the water should be changed every hour.
2. Put the pot of water to boil.In the meantime, we put cucumbers in prepared jars, which have been sterilized beforehand.
3. It is necessary to rinse all the leaves and put, filling them with 1/5 of a jar. Pour all the spices, 3 grams of each, garlic for one portion you need 3 cloves. Have soaked cucumbers need to cut off the ass and tightly tamped into banks.
4. When the water boils, the vessels with cucumbers must be filled to the brim with boiling water and left for half an hour. When the water has cooled down a little, it needs to be completely drained back into the pan, pour in 25 grams of salt and 30 grams of sugar, boil.
5. To keep the cucumbers fresh for a long time, you need to add half a tsp. lemon leaves for a 2-liter jar. Fill with brine and close.
Banks should be checked for leaks; to do this, put them on a towel with the neck down and see if the brine is leaking. Inverted jars should be covered with a blanket or thick cloth and leave to cool for 10-12 hours.
Tomato Salting Recipe
This recipe for pickled tomatoes does not contain vinegar, it contains a minimal amount of salt, but a lot of sugar, and vinegar is replaced by citric acid, while the brine is tender, you can even drink it.
- Tomatoes - 1.5 kg
- Black Pepper Peas
- Tarragon or tarragon
- Salt - 25 grams per liter of water
- Granulated sugar - 100 g per liter of water
- Citric acid - 20 gr
1. We distribute spices and tomatoes in banks, so that the skin does not burst during heat treatment, we pierce the tomato with a fork near the stem.
2. Boil water and fill it to the brim with water, cool for half an hour, decant the boiling water back into the pan and put salt, sugar and lemongrass, boil.
3. Pour the boiling brine, scream, twist the lid, turn it over, put it on a cloth and wrap it in a blanket or thick cloth, leave to cool for a night.
Canned Salad Recipes
Salad "Beware of Vodka"
- Tomatoes - 1.2 kg
- Bulgarian sweet pepper - 4 pcs
- Carrot - 900 gr
- Onions - 1 kg
- Cucumbers - 1 kg
- White cabbage - 1 kg
- Cooking salt - 125 gr
- Granulated sugar - 125 grams
- Acetic acid 70% - 30 ml
- Sunflower oil - 1 cup
1. We heat the cans, wash and clean the vegetables, cut cucumbers into small pieces, tomatoes and peppers - in small squares, onions - in rings, carrot three on a grater, chop cabbage.
2It will take a deep pan or a metal basin, in which you need to mix all the vegetables, add salt, sugar, oil, dissolve vinegar in a glass with water, mix everything with your hands, leave the vegetable mixture for a few hours so that it runs out of juice. After 2 hours, pour it into a separate pan, boil it and fill it with vegetables. We put on gas, boil - we torment about 18 minutes.
We will need:
- Tomatoes - 3 kg
- Onion - 1 kg
- Carrot - 1 kg
- Sweet pepper - 1 kg
- Olive oil - 300 gr
- Cooking salt - 100 gr
- Granulated sugar - 300 gr
- Vinegar - 200 gr
1. All vegetables are peeled. Tomatoes cut and pour boiling water to remove the skin, then grind in a blender. Three carrots, onion, pepper cut into strips. In a container with a dense bottom we pour vegetables and everything else, after boiling we simmer for half an hour on a small fire.
Zucchini Salad with Peppers and Tomatoes
We will need:
- Young squash - 1 kg
- Tomatoes - 1 kg
- Sweet pepper - 1 kg
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves
- Granulated sugar - 100 gr
- Salt - 25 gr
- Vinegar 9% - 1 tbsp.
- Sunflower oil - 1 tbsp.
1. Wash vegetables, peel, chop.
2. Put the sliced tomatoes on the gas, add salt,sugar and butter - cook until tomatoes give juice, then add zucchini, pepper and cook for another 15 minutes, add onions and cook for a few more minutes, at the end pour vinegar and mix.
Recipe for squash caviar
Zucchini caviar is a dish familiar to everyone from childhood, very versatile, caviar can be spread on bread, used as a side dish or snacks. It is better to cook the game in cast-iron or aluminum dishes, it is not advisable to use enameled. So that the vegetables do not burn during cooking, take a saucepan with a tight bottom. The cooking process takes a small amount of time, and cooking is easy.
What is needed for cooking:
- Young squash - 1 kg
- Tomatoes - 250 gr
- Pepper - 250 gr
- Carrot - 150 gr
- Onions - 150 gr
- Garlic - 50 gr
- Sugar - 40 gr
- Salt - 40 gr
- Citric acid - 10 gr
- Olive / sunflower oil for roasting
- Pepper ground - 10 gr
1. Clean the zucchini and cut them into cubes. We make several cuts on the tomatoes, scald them and peel them off, cut them into cubes. Pepper must also be scalded and peeled, finely chopped. Carrots, garlic and onion shred.
2Each ingredient needs to be slightly passaged for 20 minutes until half cooked, onions and garlic are passaged together. Then mix everything in a container, pour salt, sugar, pepper and boil on a small fire for 1 hour.
3. Cool the mixture and grind the blender, you can use the submersible. Caviar need to boil again, and then pour into banks. Some hostesses add cloves to the caviar.
Making blanks is very simple, a huge variety of recipes and cooking methods allow each housewife to choose something for themselves. Homemade preservation will delight you for a whole year, besides, you can save a lot on store pickles. A jar of cucumbers or tomatoes will be an excellent snack, if you suddenly descend guests. Do not be afraid to experiment and invent new recipes, this is how new masterpieces are born.