Decoration of dishes. Autumn Carving
The original decoration of dishes helps the hostess to make them more appetizing and more attractive, to surprise their guests and arrange the dining table in a festive style.
To make your dishes memorable for a long time, use this design technique like carving.
The decoration of dishes using the carving technique became popular relatively recently, although vegetable and fruit carving as a kind of needlework originated in the Far East several centuries ago.
This technique is especially popular at the beginning and in the middle of autumn: at this time the harvest of vegetables and fruits, the main materials for work, is taking place.
Table decoration in this way exists in 2 main variations.
Initially, the decoration of dishes in the carving technique appeared in China in the XIV-XV centuries. Until now, traditional techniques of carving for vegetables and fruits have been preserved.
The inhabitants of the East use many different stencils, blanks and tools to create ornate figures of people, birds, dragons and plants.Basically, the Asian decoration of dishes looks like a complex composition of several intertwining shapes.
Oriental carving is performed on the following products: papaya, taro root, melon, watermelon.
European decoration of dishes, mainly received its development with the advent of famous restaurants, which was important to arrange the dishes in the original, unique style.
Food figures in the European carving technique are simple and concise. Mainly, in this style they process radish, carrots, beets, radishes, zucchini, pumpkin, onions, eggplants, tomatoes and cucumbers.
Decoration of children's dishes
Carving is perfect for decorating a children's holiday table. Especially if you consider that children do not always eat willingly, are naughty and refuse from fruits and vegetables.
But if you cook carved dishes for children, they will happily eat them. For example, you can make a basket for sweets in the form of a shark's head from a watermelon. To do this, you will need a medium-sized watermelon and a variety of sweets: jelly sweets in the form of geometric shapes and animals, chocolate slices, fruit slices.
- Lay the watermelon on its side in front of you.Cut off the bottom of the watermelon at a slight angle so that it can stand well on the dish.
- Put the watermelon in place of the cut. In the convex upper part, cut a wedge-shaped lobule - the future mouth of a shark.
- Along the perimeter of the hole, cut off the skin of the fruit. The width of the slice should not exceed 1-2 centimeters.
- With a special rounded spoon, start choosing the pulp from the watermelon.
- You should have fruit preparations. Do not throw them away - you will need them later.
- Now you can cut your teeth with a thin, sharp knife. To do this, cut inverted triangles in the place where the skin was cut.
- Mark the eyes and gills with the same knife: cut 2 small round pieces of skin on the sides of the head and make 2 thin semicircular cuts under them.
- Pick 2 blue grapes or dark-colored sweets on toothpicks. Insert them in the place prepared for the eyes.
- Take the remaining piece of watermelon, which you cut at the very beginning. Cut a large triangle out of the skin and clean it from the pulp - this is the future fin.
- Insert 2 toothpicks into the back of the shark and attach the fin with them.
- Now pour fruit balls into the open mouth.
- Spread a blue jelly around your head to create the appearance of water.And in the mouth you can put jelly figurines of fish to give your carving some bloodthirstiness.
The head of the fish will be not only a wonderful table decoration. Its main function is a curly basket for sweets.
And the next video will tell you how to decorate a watermelon with flowers.
Decorating dishes of watermelons in the technique of carving is very popular because of the large area of the berry. On it you can create numerous patterns of flowers and holiday inscriptions.
Vegetable Carving for beginners
Carving style decoration is available for everyone. If you are a beginner, try simple ways of carving on products, gradually moving to more complex patterns and shapes.
The easiest way to work beginners with carrots. Take a vegetable and start making wedge-shaped cuts around the entire circumference. Now cut the pieces - you get carrot flowers, which you can decorate with autumn salad or soup.
And from tomato slices you can get great poppies! To do this, use the tips of the next master class.
In addition, the tomato can be used to create the decoration of dishes in the form of a rose.
- Turn the bottom of the tomato toward you and pry off the skin in the middle with a knife,to cut it off, but not completely.
- Now begin to cut the skin in a spiral, so that you have a long strip.
- Spread the strip in front of you on the board.
- Now start rolling the skin into a roll.
- Put the resulting roll on the bottom of the tomato.
Your rose is ready! Roll up 3 such buds to form a bouquet, and place them in the center of the vegetable sliced.
Use also the leaf skeletonization technique for beautifully decorating dishes with sorrel leaves, currants and cherries. Unfortunately, the products will be inedible, but will create a great mood during the meal due to its aesthetic appearance.